A few months ago, we stumbled upon $390 round trip fares from Boston to Oslo on the rapidly expanding Norwegian Air. Tickets were for a direct flight over a long weekend on a 787-8 Dreamliner. Basically, it was irresistible.
So hello from Norway today! The redeye flight was easy – just 6.5 hours and smooth. Here are some things we learned from our travels today:
- Pack lightly and bring your essentials in a carry-on. We were traveling with friends who checked 2 pieces of luggage. Only 1 piece made it to Oslo on this direct flight.
- The food on board was reasonably priced (from memory, approximately: $7 sandwiches, $3 sodas, $5 beer) and orders could be placed electronically via your in-seat entertainment system. Still, on a budget red eye, sometimes all you need is a bottle of water and a granola bar.
- Yes, there are free movies on the individual seat-back screens. The selection is somewhat limited. Also, Norwegian Air plays this amazing video extolling the safety and jetlag-preventing virtues of this plane. You may feel more rested and relaxed even before take off. 🙂
- Yes, there are chargers on the flight – a USB by the in-seat entertainment screen and a real plug under the seat.
- Plan for at least 1 hour in customs. The long wait at passport control in Oslo was unexpected, but seemed likely to be a recurring problem in the near future with the current customs set-up and full 787s flying in from the US and other parts of the world. The line for passport control started just a few feet off our plane – while we were still standing in the jetway. It took us 1 hour and 15 minutes to get through passport control today. For transfers, also plan on sufficient time to collect your checked luggage from baggage claim, and then recheck it for the next flight.
- Consider taking the Flytoget airport express train to get into the city. Tickets were moderately pricy at ~$25 USD each way per person (at an exchange rate of 8.3 NOK to 1 USD), but it gets to the Oslo Central Station with just 1 other stop in 19 minutes. Very smooth. Very easy. Very much on-time. (There are also other train and bus options to get into town.)